Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year Begins


I am always wondering if everyone else does the same thing this time year?  Do you find yourself thinking random thoughts of things you have always wanted to do?  You know the stuff you think about right before you fall asleep... wishes, dreams, you know, all the things you want to happen.  It’s like the new year gives you permission to reflect on your world and where you are in it.  I think it is cool that every year there is this opportunity to feel fresh and new.  Not that you couldn’t do this anytime of the year, but New Year’s is like a signal that allows you to ponder further.  

Do you want to start something new, read more, write letters, reacquaint with the past, organize something, fulfill a dream?  The new year is the time to get it underway.  To me, nothing is more exciting than the possibilities that a new year brings.

I usually do make some sort of goal for the new year. For example, last year’s New Year’s promise was to begin a blog. Well... It only took me 11 months to fulfill that goal and I did make it happen in 2008!  That’s progress!  The blog was about doing something for me and forcing myself to write more. I like myself better when I write, yet the crazy in me keeps me from actually doing it.  

This year’s promise is to be more creative.  I thought I would begin by starting a new journal. Not one that you just write in, but one that I can doodle in and create. I love paper art!  According to my sister, I have a fetish for all things paper.

Today I began in my journal... I started with the most basic form of artistic expression... scribbling. It was a great form of emotional release and relaxation. It's fun too! Try it yourself and you will see what I mean!  My new year’s journal may become a random mix of tear sheets, pictures, quotes and visions, but it is mine and about me being creative!

No comments: